Home' MHD Supply Chain Solutions : MHD Spt-Oct 2015 Contents stock, and enables multiple orders requiring the
same SKU to be fulfilled concurrently.
Accurate order picking
When a tote arrives at the workstation, a monitor
displays an image of the SKU along with the
quantity of items to be picked. Pick-to-light
displays at each of the six order locations display
the number of items required for each order,
virtually eliminating the potential for picking errors.
Staff work in parallel at the three worksta-
tions, unaffected by each other's pace, and
the workstations can be opened and closed
as required on a particular shift. The system
provides full redundancy as orders can be
processed at any location, with all workstations
Split-case order processing
More than 55% of the DC's orders require items
from the Multishuttle GTP system. Orders are
typically launched at the GTP workstation and
after the GTP portion of the order is complete,
the operator simply pushes the carton onto a
central take-away conveyor.
Slower-moving split-case SKU and goods
not suitable for storage within the Multishuttle
system are stored within a combination of
shelving and selective pallet racking.
After all of the required SKU from the GTP
system have been picked, the system's integrated
conveyor system transports the order to other
areas of the DC where any additional SKU for the
order are picked using the DC's voice-directed
picking system, and added to the order.
When all of the split-case items for an order
have been picked, the carton is conveyed through
an inline packing system where the carton is void
filled, sealed and labelled for despatch.
The completed order is then conveyed to
an eight-lane sortation system, which sorts the
carton to the appropriate shipping lane where it
will be palletised for despatch.
Integrated system software
Shimano's Pronto Warehouse Management
System (WMS) is responsible for overall
inventory management and stock movements,
order management and replenishment requests
to the GTP system.
The WMS is also responsible for SKU manage-
ment including capturing of weight, dimensions
and photographs of SKU, which are displayed
during the picking process at the GTP worksta-
tion to verify the correct product is being picked.
Dematic iQ's WCS is responsible for all
picking in the DC and all activities relating to the
GTP system including picking, replenishment,
stock control and location management within
the Multishuttle system.
The iQ WCS also controls the real-time flow of
orders through the GTP workstations, as well as
voice-directed picking in the DC's shelving and
racking areas. It also controls the flow of orders
through the conveyor system to despatch.
Orders that require only GTP items -- about
55% -- are released for picking as required,
while those requiring part-GTP and part-bulk --
around 45% of orders -- have the GTP portion
released first and as picking nears completion,
the bulk requirements are released for picking.
Through Dematic iQ's performance optimis-
ing software, the Multishuttle system provides
full track and trace capabilities for every single
carton and optimises operational processes from
planning to order fulfilment and shipping within
a single flexible, scalable and modular platform.
It also provides visibility and insight into system
SHIMANO'S MULTISHUTTLE GTP
SYSTEM HAS ENABLED:
• The consolidation of three distribution centres into one.
• Very high productivity and throughput rates: 208 totes/hour.
• Delivery of SKU to GTP workstations in the exact sequence to optimise order assembly.
• Lower energy consumption and quieter operation through the use of lighter weight, low
• Self-learning software to control tote put-away, constantly increasing tote retrieval efficiency.
• Improved inventory management, with ongoing check-weighing and cycle counting.
• Error-free put-away process to ensure inventory accuracy, reducing stock-outs.
• Space to be reserved for extra aisle providing future flexibility and reduced initial investment.
• Dual-purpose GTP workstations suitable for both picking and replenishment.
• Intuitive, easy training, with just one hour of picking/packing operator training required.
• The GTP system to provide full redundancy as orders can be processed at any location.
• Seamless integration of the iQ System with Shimano's WMS for total visibility of picking, and
real-time system performance and order status data.
Pick-to-light displays at each of
the six order locations display the
number of items required for each
order, enhancing accuracy.
Orders pass through an
inline packing station before
continuing on to an eight lane
conveyor sortation system.
MHD SUPPLY CHAIN SOLUTIONS --- SEPTEMBER / OCTOBER 2015
Links Archive MHD May-Jun 2015 MHD Nov-Dec 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page